Do you see things a little differently?

Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Trials and Tribulations of moving to BYOD



This adventure started when my employer decided to stop supplying cell phones. Going forward they will purchase the license to use Good Mobile Messaging, but it will be up to the employee to manage the data plan costs. I'm fine with this and was frankly getting tired of the ridicule of having an old Blackberry. My current personal phone at 3 years of age was considered an antique, and just didn't have the ability to do some of the things I needed, such as let me answer a phone call even though it was clearly busy doing something in the background which prevented the screen from responding. To get a new phone, I could either shell out cash from my pocket for myself and my spouse, or I could take advantage of the subsidy offered. The downside to the subsidy is the loss of the unlimited data plan, but the other advantages seemed to make it worthwhile especially when you consider that the phones I wanted were about $1k for the two of them.

I dutifully obtained approvals, installed the "Good" client from Google Play, and proceeded to configure and connect the application. At first everything ran just fine. I was able to send and receive messages, look up people in the contact book, etc.  After about 24 hours, I received the following very polite message at which time my Goodlink service was discontinued.


We notice that you just added a device and/or wireless plan to the Good network. Welcome!  You are one of the many users enjoying the benefits of using Good. You may not be aware, but it appears that the wireless plan you are using from one of our partners does not yet contain the Good service code. Don't worry!  This is a simple change with your network provider and can be resolved very easily and service will begin immediately. See the instructions below.

Note: If your company is using Good under trial, please contact your team so that the correct code can be added before you go in to production. Good service is interrupted for those lines that attempt to go in to production without this code.

Should you have any questions regarding this notice, please contact us at 866-7-BE-GOOD or glp@good.com for prompt assistance.

Thank you for choosing Good.

Good Technology


To obtain carrier wireless plans, please contact the following Good Technology carrier reseller:

Verizon
Contact your local Verizon Wireless Sales Representative. Customers without a Verizon Wireless Sales Rep should call Verizon Support at (800) 922-0204 or *611 from your cell phone. The hours are Monday-Sunday 6am-11pm EST.
Please Note: Switching to a Good specific service plan with Verizon does not require an extension to your contract commitment.

*************************************************************************
NOTE: DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE. THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT BY
WAY OF A BROADCAST MAILING LIST. ALL REPLIES WILL BE DISCARDED.
*************************************************************************


I had heard the rumors that my carrier was requiring an Enterprise Goodlink plan in order to use the product, but I figured that had to be a myth. After all, I'm paying for the data I use. What business is it of theirs how I use it?
I called the carrier and had a discussion with support, and then customer service. In my disgruntled customer voice, I asked why they were charging this extra fee and what value add was it providing. After some back and forth, they told me that Good is charging the fee, and they are just passing it along. The carrier story didn't match what I had been told by others, but giving them the benefit of the doubt, I took a look at the evidence. Did you notice the text in bold from Goodlink in the above mesage? The message came from Goodlink, not my carrier, and Goodlink is saying I need this data flag.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but finally gave up. If it was just the carrier, then running over WiFi should have worked, but it did not. This is clearly a Goodlink deal. I caved because the service is invaluable in my 24x7 support role, and ordered the service from my carrier. Once the "feature" was applied, and I rebooted my phone, then I received the following message (again from Goodlink).

You are now authorized to use the Good Mobile Services service, and your service has been restored. Thank you for your support, and for being a Good customer.

Good Technology

*************************************************************************
NOTE: DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE. THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT BY
WAY OF A BROADCAST MAILING LIST. ALL REPLIES WILL BE DISCARDED.
*************************************************************************
 
You are now authorized to use the Good Mobile Services service, and your service has been restored. Thank you for your support, and for being a Good customer.

Good Technology

*************************************************************************
NOTE: DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE. THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT BY
WAY OF A BROADCAST MAILING LIST. ALL REPLIES WILL BE DISCARDED.
*************************************************************************


More evidence that my carrier was not to blame (at least not completely). I'm reasonably certain they are in cahoots with Goodlink, but ultimately they are not stopping my traffic.  Here is some more evidence. Note Remedy #2. Why can't I only use WiFi and avoid that fee?

Is Good Compatible with WiFi only...

Here is a presentation from Goodlink about what plans are needed from the different carriers and what the costs are. The bottom line appears to be that Goodlink is charging this, but doing so in a sneaky way. I attempted to ask the question of why, but when I used the email address listed in their canned response, this is what I received in return...




Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

glp@good.com
A problem occurred during the delivery of this message to this e-mail address. Try sending this message again. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.

The following organization rejected your message: server-14.tower-201.messagelabs.com.
 
Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: xxxxxx.com

glp@good.com
server-14.tower-201.messagelabs.com #glp@good.com
> (#5.1.1)> #SMTP#




Ummm, that email address was copy/pasted from their message. I think perhaps Good is not so "Good" and intends to avoid answering this question.